Tamil action drama film Sarkar starring Vijay in the lead role had great three weeks over box office but with the release of Rajnikanth’s 2.0 the movie took a dip, and now the film has an average occupancy over multiplexes. The film was released on 6th November 2018. It is directed by AR Murugadoss and is produced by Kalanithi Maran under the banner of Sun Pictures.
The plot of the movie revolves around Sundar Ramaswamy, a non-resident Indian (NRI) who came to India from the USA to value his vote in the election, but he found that his vote was already cast. And for this, he raised awareness against electoral fraud. The film depicts an engaging story with a best class casting by Vijay and other supporting stars like Keerthy Suresh, Varalaxmi Sarathkumar, Yogi Babu and Radha Ravi.
The film was under a budget of Rs. 130 crore while as of now the film has clinched a box office collection of more than Rs 270 crores. The film raised a box office collection of Rs 14 crore from Chennai, Rs 14.14 crore from Kerala, Rs 17.05 from Karnataka and Rs 18.10 from Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
- Total Tamil Nadu Box Office Collection: Rs 127.02 crore
- Total Chennai Box Office Collection: Rs 14 crore
- Total Kerala Box Office Collection: Rs 14.14 crore
- Total Karnataka Box Office Collection: Rs 17.05 crore
- Total AP & TS Box Office Collection: Rs 18.10 crore
- Total Sri Lanka Box Office Collection: Rs 6.80 crore
- Total Malaysia Box Office Collection: Rs 15.16 crore
- Total Singapore Box Office Collection: Rs 6.35 crore
- Total UAE-GCC Box Office Collection: Rs 19.20 crore
- Total USA Box Office Collection: Rs 8.37 crore
- Total UK Box Office Collection: Rs 4.25 crore
- Total Australia Box Office Collection: Rs 2.56 crore
- Total France Box Office Collection: Rs 2.80 crore
- Total Worldwide Box Office Collection: Rs 260 crore
In the overseas market also the film is creating a good business. The film recovered Rs 6.80 crore from Sri Lanka, Rs 15.16 crore from Malaysia, Rs 6.35 crore from Singapore, Rs 9.20 crore from UAE-GCC, Rs 8.37 crore from the USA, Rs 4.25 crore from the UK, Rs 2.56 crore from Australia and Rs 2.80 crore from France. With a total worldwide collection of around Rs 270 crore, the film is standing well.
Even with the release of Rajnikanth’s 2.0 the movie performed well over box office. Still, the film retained its value in the battle of Sarkar vs. 2.0. The film may cross the mark of Rs 300 crore in few upcoming days and will make a new benchmark.